Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Vet practice

We took a break from practicing handling at the vet's office after I brought Terra home. I scheduled another one and had the tech run through a typical exam with him. She checked his eyes, ears, teeth, pulse temperature, lifted his front legs to look at his chest/belly, and palpated his abdomen. Later I had her stretch and feel all four legs. Here and there he gave mildly stressed body language (tail down, yawn, and/or tense face), but he tolerated it. He only tried to avoid her when there was a dog on the other side of the door that he needed to bark at, and when she picked him up (which I should have told her not to do). We had previously also worked toward getting a voluntary blood draw, but we're close to the limit of what we can do without actually drawing blood. Maybe one more session with that to come. Aside from that, I need to do practice a lot more with settling calmly on his side.

No comments:

Post a Comment