Sunday, September 17, 2017

Success with vet training

I am SO proud of Chimera. At our last training session at the vet's, he held still with the chin target while getting his temperature taken in his ear - a first! Then he did the same while the tech shined a bright light in his eyes - another first!





Next items to work on:
- More with blood draws; we're to the point that we need 3-4 hands to draw blood from a front leg so I'm not sure how often we'll be able to practice this. (It was explained to me that one hand needs to roll off the vein and the other needs to gently pull the paw forward in order for the vein to be in the right spot. And then of course you need at least one more hand to work the syringe.)
- Teeth/mouth examinations. (He currently allows this and is fairly relaxed but I'd like a stronger +CER.)
- Settling onto his side and staying, for examination of his side or belly, or for getting an ultrasound or x-ray done.  (I need to do more work with this at home as well.)
- Getting poked with a needle for a vaccine. (I'm not totally sure which party of the body various vaccines are given in, d'oh.)

No comments:

Post a Comment