Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Private nose work lessons

I am FINALLY taking nose work more seriously now, and Chimera certainly appreciates it. When we're practicing at home, he jumps on me when I get the odor out, and then scratches at the door while I'm hiding it.

We're currently doing private lessons with Jennie Kiefer. I was impressed at how well Cau worked at our first lesson, in a brand new place, even around picnic tables with old food and dog pee smells. So far we're doing mostly exterior hides and presenting new puzzles, with the tin always accessible. Last time we did a single box drill to introduce him to the idea of searching boxes. (He was confused and offering me lots of eye contact at first, but once he caught the whiff of odor he went into hunt mode and found the right one quickly.)

Jennie says there will be an ORT in the area in early 2019, and if I keep up with practice he should be able to pass it with style.

I didn't used to enjoy nose work much, but now that agility is off the table, I appreciate it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment